700th post! I recently competed in the Noosa Triathlon, doing the bike ride for the teams category. Some stats that might be of interest:
- 40km course, Time: 1hr 5min, Averaged 35km/hr, 1,118 teams cyclists, 155 in the Open Male Cat (not. incl mixed teams).
- 114th overall, 25th in the Open Male category, & 19th for the Garmin King of the Hill section.
Pretty pleased with that given the amount of incredible bikes & athletes out there, not to mention my two weeks commute prep training. Plus, look at those colours!
Being forced to vote in the Brisbane City Council Elections on Saturday. Wish I could have seen the ballot counters face when they came across the above.
The Mafia on the Social Contract
Elizabeth Warren revealed.
Henry Hazlitt and Ludwig von Mises at the Gallatin House Seminar sharing a laugh about, what we can only assume to be — at the Keynesians expense.
Luke: Ok, I’m officially tripping out. I’m in a girls clothing store in SoHo that is FULL of Libertarian and Austrian books. Rothbard, Hayek, Locke, Hazlitt, etc. What is going on?! Just found a copy of Randy Barnett’s The Structure of Liberty. Asked a girl if I can I buy it. She gave it to me for free!
Michael: Haha, wtf? Is the owner an Austro-Libertarian or something?
Luke: Haha I’ve got no idea. I spoke to a couple of the cute staff members: “ummm, hey, random question — do you know who chose all the books for your store displays?” — but they didn’t know. One replied that it was just random ones they picked up from somewhere. I don’t think so! There was all sorts of good things in there: Milton Friedman books, Hernando de Soto, Hoppe, “Man Against the State” by James J. Martin, Sheldon Richman… Will definitely have to pop in there again when I’m next in the neighborhood and see if I can get to the bottom of it ;)
The Kony Kollection
At the beginning of the documentary we see Jason Russell tell a crowd of young people that they must STAND AGAINST WAR. By the end of the documentary, he advocates MILITARY INTERVENTION*. Perhaps we should think about this a little more deeply.
- We Got Trouble - Kony 2012 Viewed Critically [Visible Children]
- Joseph Kony is Not Uganda (And Other Complicated Things) [FP]
- The Visible Problem with Invisible Children [Itlo]
- Concerning Kony 2012 [SeetWeebly]
- *‘Look What I Did’ responds to Invisible Children Organization [Gauntlet]
- The IC Advocacy Campaign To Catch Kony [Justice in Conflict]
- Stop Kony, Yes. But don’t stop asking questions [Independent.co.uk]
- The Problems with ‘Stop Kony’ [The Atlantic Wire]
- How Invisible Children Falsely Marketed The LRA Disarmament and Northern Uganda Recovery Act [Black Star News]
When I confronted the administration of Invisible Children about this information, they stated in an email:
- “I agree with you that leading people to believe that the war is still happening in Uganda is not ethically right. It’s something we’ve been addressing internally, focusing on getting all staff and supporters on the same page in regards to the language they use in their communications.”
“Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal for an issue which arguably needs action and aid, not awareness, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they lack an external audit committee. But it goes way deeper than that.”
- Innovate Africa [You Don’t Have My Vote]
- Amber Ha [Kony 2012: Causing More Harm than Good]
- Alexander Holzbach [Facts About Invisible Children and Kony 2012]
- Shane Morris [This Has Been a Moment of Truth]
- Shane Morris [I’m sorry, but I have to say this]
- Adam Daze [Everyone jumping on the Kony bandwagon, listen up]
- Michelle Hack Carr [I’m gonna be the dick nobody wants to hear]
- Helen Hu [War, Debt, Oil]
- Livingstone [From Uganda]
- Erics Wanderings [Invisible Children and Joseph Kony]
- Obama Supported Child Soldiers Before He Was Against Them [AntiWar]
- Neocolonial Scramble For Africa [Information Clearing House]
- Resolve, Uganda: US President Obama’s strategy on the LRA [UgandaWatch]
- Tracking Uganda’s Lords Resistance Army: The Regional Context [PatriotPost]
- The Lords Resistance Army: End Game? [CrisisGroup]
- Wikileaks on Lords Resistance Army [CableGate]
- Lessons from Wkileaks on the LRA [Resolve.org]
Who says you have to be in the United States to vote for Ron Paul? Some of my friends who are in control of the local Liberal Party branch here hosted a “Super Tuesday Republican Primary Party”. Such a fun night: food, endless beer, intense political discussion, trivia, raffles, and a straw poll to top it off. There were 37 people in attendance. The results were:
- Ron Paul: 21
- Romney: 9
- Santorum: 7
- Gingrich: 0
Let’s hope those margins translate into the real event! Enjoy the photos of myself representing ‘2008’. Someone had to claim the ‘veteran’ status.
“The attempt to disprove the action-axiom would itself be an action aimed at a goal, requiring means, excluding other courses of action, incurring costs, subjecting the actor to the possibility of achieving or not achieving the desired goal and so leading to a profit or a loss.
And the very possession of such knowledge then can never be disputed, and the validity of these concepts can never be falsified by any contingent experience, for disputing or falsifying anything would already have presupposed their very existence. As a matter of fact, a situation in which these categories of action would cease to have a real existence could itself never be observed, for making an observation, too, is an action.”
— Hans-Hermann Hoppe, Economic Science and the Austrian Method